Sunday, August 30, 2009

Raystown Lake 8/24-8/25/09

Hey all.
I figured I would give you a little post about my trip to Raystown Lake on August 24 and 25. I have never fished this lake before and i wanted to get a nice little camping trip in before i started grad school at Slippery Rock. So, my buddy Tyler and I decided to plan this trip.
We arrived at Raystown around 9am on monday morning. by the time we git the tent set up and the boat in the water it was around 10:30. we fished til about 6pm that night and had a blast! What an awesome lake! Tyler was fishing for panfish most of the day and he caught about 30 fish each day. The quality of the fish wasnt very good. all of the panfish he caught were dinks but still had a really good time in doing so.

I was fishing for bass all day. I started out targeting coves and wood as there is alot of both at raystown. The bass didnt seem to be sticking to the wood like i thought they would be in 79 degree water. It took me til about 2 oclock to really put a pattern on and find the bass. I started targeting bass in ~10-20ft if water in the grass. I would just pitch my 5" Watermelon Red Senko into it and bam! the bass started cooperating with me. I put about 5 or 6 fish in the boat in the matter of minutes! granted, the bass werent very big but were very fun to catch and get some great pictures of!

On day 2, we made a run up passed beer barrel bay and began targeting grass again. This time i didnt catch any fish in the grass and found they were in steep drop-offs. I caught 3 bass on a watermelon Wooly Hawgtail and a keeper greenie on a crankbait on a rocky point.

SO in all it was a very fun relaxing trip. i caught about 15 bass in 2 days in an unfamiliar fishery. so i was pleased with how i did. I would love to go back in the fall or early spring when the bass are hogged up. I caught a decent sized smallmouth too so that was another goal that i accomplished for the trip.

enjoy the pics! Catch ya later




No comments:

Post a Comment