Sunday, August 23, 2009

4th Place at my club tourney at the Allegheny River at Templeton

another tournament where i was so close to winning some money.

My buddy, TP Piotrowski, and I got up at 3am to drive to Templeton for our first trip ever to the Allegheny River. We got to see right away how beautiful of a river the Allegheny is. It took about 2.5 hours for me to catch my first (and only) keeper of the day. I caught a just barley legal smallmouth right off of a concrete dock on a brush hog. Usually I use watermelon red brush hogs but i was out so i had to settle with a new color i just bought.. watermelon magic. i weighed it and stuck Bag-em Bass tag in its mouth and threw him in the livewell. we went upriver just passed the bridge and the ower plant and began fishing some more.

I ended up catching one on a Mini-dr Lucky Craft crankbait in a blue and chartruese color. it was only about 6 or 8 inces. i felt the initial bump but after that i didnt even think i had one on. it was a tiny little guy.

After chatting briefly with a guy who owns a cottage along the river he suggested going into mahoning creek where the water was clear (instead of fishing in the chocolate milk that we were fishing in all day. )

A bridge runs over top of mahoning creek and tp and i started there. my first cast onto a one of the bridge pillars resulted in me hooking up with an almost legal smallie. it was 11.5 inches. i thought for sure it was as big as my first fish. we had a couple more bites the rest of the day but no more fish.

It was a really nice place to fish. i would definatly go back again. the water clarity was really muddy. if i go back it will have to be when the river is cleared up. we worked the docks pretty hard al day but only got 1 fish off of them.

i missed out on the money by .1 lbs. i was so close to finally winnin some money.. but hey there is always next time.

I am about to head outside right now to load up some wood, pack up the tents, prep my boat, and head to Raystown Lake tomorrow into tuesday to camp and fish! wish me luck!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment