Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Philipsburg Bassmasters: Lake Erie Tournament (June 18, 2011)

Well, Adam Hurley and I hit up Lake Erie for my club tournament back in June. I have never fished Lake Erie so I was pretty much going in blind for the day. I did a little research and had some ideas on what I was going to do and what areas in the bay that I was going to try.
We got on the water around 6:00 and we headed to our first spot. On my very first cast I hooked into a 14.5inch smallmouth. I knew it was going to be a great day. I ended up catching 4 fish from my first spot and managed my first keeper of the day. It was a 15.5inch smallmouth.

We then decided to try another spot after the spot slowed down a little bit and fished the wall leading into the lake. Adam caught a bunch of fish on a senko and I managed a couple more. After the tournament was about halfway done, I decided to run back to that wall because I knew it would start producing for us. Luckily, I was right and I landed my 2nd and 3rd keepers in a matter of about an hour. I culled twice during that time and figured I had about 5.5lbs in the boat between my 3 fish.

With about 20 minutes remaining in the tournament we decided to fish in front of the Perry monument. On my tenth cast or so I threw a tube out and hooked into a fish I thought was barely legal when I saw it jump. When I got it to the boat, Hurley netted it for me and I upgraded my 1.5lb smallmouth I had to a 3.5lb smallmouth! After that we headed to the weigh in and I ended up in 3rd place for the day with 7.47lbs and my first ever check. I have a feeling this is going to be a good year for me (except I will be missing a couple tournament due to getting married! haha I will update on my club tournament on the Allegeny/Clarion River soon.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment